The WIN for KC Women's Triathlon is GREENED by 360 Architecture and Henderson Engineers.
The WIN for KC Women's Triathlon is certified as a Green event through Council on Responsible Sport, an organization that provides an independent, comprehensive certification for sustainable athletic events.In 2011, WIN for KC was re-certified for two years at the Silver Level by receiving 30 of 33 credits, and is one of only 34 races (and 1 of only 6 triathlons) in the United States to achieve this designation. Click here to learn more about the credits that were applied for and the certification process.
HOW YOU CAN BE GREEN:
- DONATE TO SOLES4SOULS: Soles4Souls collects new shoes to give relief to the victims of abject suffering and collects used shoes to support micro-business efforts to eradicate poverty. WIN for KC Women's Triathlon and E.G. Geller are partnering to encourage participants to donate their new and gently used shoes of any kind. Simply drop your shoes off at E.G. Geller at 316 Ward Parkway, Kansas City, MO 64112 and they will take care of the rest.
- CARPOOL: In an effort to keep costs down for our athletes, participants will NOT be charged for a parking pass this year. However, with the increased number of participants, parking space is VERY limited at Sailboat Cove so PLEASE CARPOOL! This not only helps to reduce our carbon footprint, but alleviates any parking problems for participants/spectators on race morning. Please tell your friends/family coming to support you to carpool as well! Connect with other women doing the race by visiting the WIN for KC Women's Triathlon group on Pickup Pal, an organization that connects people in communities so they can share rides!
- RECYCLE & COMPOST: Please assist the Triathlon Green Team on race morning by using the marked containers for the recycling of plastic, glass, cardboard and aluminum. In addition, we will be composting fruit waste and the appropriate plates, cups, napkins and utensils that are biodegradable. Special thanks to Magic Touch Cleaning, Inc. for donating these biodegradable items!
- RECYCLE YOUR RACE BIB: If you don't plan to proudly display your customized race bib after the race, please recycle it!
- CONSIDER CAMPING: If you're looking for a place to stay closer to the race site, consider camping. Clay County Parks and Rec offers a variety of camping opportunities very close the race site. Click here for more details.
- OPT OUT OF RACE T-SHIRT AND FINISHER MEDAL: In an effort to reduce what is consumed, you are afforded the opportunity to opt out of receiving the participant t-shirt and a finisher medal. You can take advantage of this opportunity at packet pick-up and on-site.
WHAT IS THE WIN FOR KC WOMEN'S TRIATHLON DOING TO BE GREEN:
- GREEN ATTRIBUTES FOR THE PARTICIPANT TEES: The participants' t-shirts that are provided this year are Leslie Jordan tech tees made with the Smart-Wick technology. These shirts are produced using environmentally friendly attributes.
- RECYCLED MEDALS: The 2013 WIN for KC Women's Triathlon's medals are being made with the help of Hasty Awards and will be fully recyclable!
- PAPERLESS REGISTRATION: The WIN for KC Women's Triathlon is a paper-less registration. All registrations are done online. There is not an option for printed registration forms.
- COMPOSTABLE MATERIALS: All food service supplies and products offered on-site are compostable. These include the paper plates, cups, forks, knives, trash bags, napkins and even the recepticles they are collected in will be recycled or composted.
- IN 2011, WIN FOR KC WOMEN'S TRIATHLON DONATED TO THE SMITHVILLE PARK ENHANCEMENT FUND: As an important part of the green initiative, WIN for KC gave back to the community who provided such a wonderful venue. WIN for KC donated $1 for every participant on-site to the Smithville Lake Park Enhancement Fund. It's important to reduce the carbon footprint on this wonderful resource!
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR GREEN PARTNERS & SPONSORS